In our last post, we wrote about the goodness of green peas with a promise to share a recipe…so here is the recipe of Green peas curry from Sukham Ayu, our Ayurvedic cookbook.
- Shelled green peas 2 cups, boiled
- Turmeric powder ¼ tsp
- Coriander powder 2 tsp
- Cumin powder 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder 1 tsp
- Garam masala ½ tsp
- Mint leaves 1 tbsp, chopped fine
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- Powdered rock salt to taste
- Cow’s ghee 1 tbsp
- Onion 1 medium, chopped
- Garlic 3-4 cloves
- Ginger 1 inch piece
- Fresh coconut 2 tbsp, grated
- Pumpkin or sunflower seeds 1 tbsp
- For the paste, heat ½ tsp ghee in a wok. Add the onions, garlic, ginger and the seeds and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Grind into a fine paste along with coconut using very little water.
- In another wok, heat the remaining ghee. Add the paste. Reduce flame and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the turmeric, coriander, cumin and chilli powders, and continue to sauté for 2-3 minutes until the ghee separates from the paste.
- Add the boiled peas, mint leaves, salt and 1 cup warm water. Cover and allow to simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Switch off flame and garnish with garam masala and fresh coriander leaves.
Serve fresh as an accompaniment to any rice dish or roti.
This recipe has been published in our ayurvedic cookbook – Sukham Ayu and has been tried out by many bloggers. Each of them modified it in their own way adding their individual touch. You could check out Lisa’s Kitchen and Daily Musings and get to learn about other variations inspired by our book.